Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Love is. . . . . . . . .


Kim met her future husband, Roberto Casali, at a Los Angeles ski club. At that time, Kim drew sketches of her funny episodes on the slopes. Roberto encouraged her to continue and she did, expressing her love for him in little cartoons. Kim and Roberto were married in 1971.

Like many self-taught artists, for many years Kim Casali felt that she was not really a professional cartoonist but rather, in her own words, "a doodler". She was born Marilyn Judith Grove in Auckland, New Zealand, in 1941 and at the age of 19 traveled to Europe and the US. She worked in various jobs, including being a waitress in a London teashop.
Her cartoon continued to grow and Roberto became her business manager. Kim was sometimes put on the spot to defend her cartoon, as some people felt the comic depicted "women as childish, simple-minded dependents."
I wonder if being childish and simple minded are bad traits for an adult. Looking at the drawings of Kim does bring a smile on everyone’s face. (at least for the romantically inclined ones)
I remember seeing these drawings first in the “Sun” magazine in the mid seventies. (which was published from Calcutta.)

Love is…….helping each other to stitch up the pillow.

Love is . . . . . . . .
Here is a couple who will be celebrating their 55th wedding Anniversary next month. I feel they must have lived through each and every cartoon strip that Kim drew. There is never a dull moment with them around.
I clicked this in low light (without a flash) to accentuate the light and shadow in the picture. (click on the picture to see the comments in Flickr)

22 comments:

Lyn said...

I remember these cartoon characters. My mom had a whole book of them! She captured the simplicity in pure love -- it's about the small things really. And your shot captures this essence beautifully. I find omitting the flash often lets the natural textures and emotions reveal themselves as opposed to being flattened by white light. Nice post. And congratulations to the love birds.

Sunitha said...

Very interesting post and the cartoons are wonderful.

Aarti said...

hey

Thanks for dropping by my blog!! when i see my grandparents and other such couple who are totally into each other, it melts my heart and gives hope that Yes, love is out there...:)

Nice to come across another photo enthusiast..

Alicia @ boylerpf said...

I love her cartoons and certainly don't think they depict women as dependents. Actually, they speak of them as partners...something far harder to do which is evident in your photo. 54 years of being by ones side...obviously accomplishing all they can...together!

Neha said...

such a wonderful post...to be very honest, I am not very much into cartoons, but these were amazing...and what an image you have clicked...too good...I read the comments on it too...you truly deserve all the praises there :)

Anonymous said...

perfection.
-I love the cartoons. I need to go find this Kim.
-I've said it before... I absolutely love the snap. It warms my heart.

Denise | Chez Danisse said...

I truly adore the pillow stuffing couple in the final image--that is love.

Matty said...

These "doodles" are adorable. The people who are offended by them are the same ones who go through life looking for something to offend them. Anyone bothered by these cute cartoons needs to get a life.

This is a nice lead-in to the married couple.

~G said...

The cartoons seem familiar. I may have seen them in some newspaper too. Did not know the story behind the artist.
Hey and the pic of the couple is very cute. :)

Gauri Gharpure said...

arre what a lovely post.. I remember cutting these out out newspapers and making cards for my bf.. the last photo bags the prize.

Priyanka Khot said...

Beautiful story... love stories like these turn me into mush!

Thanks for visitng the Delhi blog. :-) Hope to see you often... and I will surely be coming again and again!

The Holy Lama said...

It's funny but mostly after a certain age, it is the man who sews. A nice moment to share.

Haddock said...

One more comment through mail:

Joe,

Liked your last two blogs very much. The subjects you've picked are interesting to the reader and the quality of language is very good.

Great work. Am proud of you!

Love,
Jolly

Jacob's ma said...

Wrinkles don't take away the beauty of love!!!! The other day at a hospital,an old couple walked by me holding hands, I watched them till they were out of my sight.I will look for Kim's cartoons and the photograph did capture the emotion very well.

workhard said...

Hey thats very cute..they celebrating their 50 th anniversary.. nice post

Work from home India

thedollcafe said...

I love love is! They are the best and most uplifting sentiments.

Prerna said...

Lovely

Anonymous said...

Its beautiful!! God bless them.My first time here..followed your comment..and you can see..I am already loving it!:)
-Trishna

rajesh khera said...

i like the cartoons
its a beautiful story.
& also about them who is going to celebrate their 55th wedding anniversary

Unknown said...

I love Love is and have for years. Maybe because being simple, innocent, reverent, caring is what reminds of our true nature. Thank you for this blog keep it up

Haddock said...

Thanks Maria.
Yes being simple and innocent are some of the virtues that are very rare in this world now.

LADY RARA said...

I've loved them since I was alittle girl