Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Tintin and Spielberg










107 minutes of pure entertainment.
This is a must see movie for those who have read and enjoyed the comic books of Tintin.






As for me it was a triple treat for obvious reasons :
1)      Tintin comics – my favourite
2)      Haddock -  my favourite character and suedoname in the blogs world.
3)      Spielberg - my favourite movie maker and director. (and Herge’s favourite too)


(That is Herge above)
It was good that Herge met Spielberg before his demise in 1983 (and this happened because of their mutual admiration)

When you read a book, your imagination runs wild and there is no limit to your imagination as to how a scene could be. I must say that Spielberg has done full justice to this transportation of imagination. 

 It was a delight to see Captain Haddock swinging from mast to mast flicking his cutlass, knocking down the pirates, or the escapades in the seaplane, and the subsequent crash land in the desert.



The best scenes are the ones where the transition takes place between the desert and the duel on high seas.

While reading the comic book, I used to be in awe of the fine details depicted in the drawing. Now Speilberg has taken it one step ahead and put the same in a three dimensional view with animation.

The technique of “motion capture” has made this animated movie look so real.


One of the reasons of the success of the movie is Spielberg’s decision that "there will be no cell phones, no TV sets, no modern cars. Just timeless Europe”   And he did just that, Europe in a time wrap.

British actor Jamie Bell poses with Tintin which was painted on a special High speed Thalys train.

The bumblings (and mumblings) of Thomson and Thomson were considerably reduced but nevertheless their presence was felt.

The only character that was missing here was Calculus, for obvious reasons as he was nowhere in the story.  





There is a trailer that they have put up on YouTube and it gives you a glimpse of the whole movie.

It was sad to see people walking out of the theatre when the credits were rolled out at the end of the movie. They don’t realize that it is these very people in the credits, who made the movie happen.

24 comments:

Roshni said...

sounds great!! I too loved reading Tintin!!

Crazy Life of a Writing Mom said...

This sounds sooooo awesome! Thanks for the fantastic info. I can't wait to see this now :0)

Lowell said...

I've never even heard of Tintin. Rin Tin Tin I know a lot about.

But it appears to be a great movie for kiddos.

hamaarethoughts.com said...

brought back the memories...I am very fond of Tintin ...amd mandrake all favourites...old time school memories..
love the description given ...I will get this movie!

Connie said...

Sounds like it would be fun to watch this movie. Thanks for the review! :-)

Dolly said...

Loved reading the comics, always preferred reading to the movie.
Dolly

Neha said...

Thanks for this. Will make sure to watch it soon.

Jessie said...

Hi Joe..I havnt yet seen the movie...should be going this weekend but have read most of the comics and loved Captain Haddock and his blistering barnacles....sometimes I feel sad for our kids who seem to have missed out on all those comics and fun...:)

Cezar and Léia said...

Wonderful post, I'm a huge fan of Tintin and his adventures!
Léia

Christine H. said...

I'm so glad to hear your positive review of the movie. I was just thinking about it today, sitting at my desk surrounded by my Tintin collectibles. I wondered if I would be disappointed by the movie. Now I very much look forward to seeing it. We are also planning a trip to the comic strip museum in Brussels next year...and maybe the Herge museum. Have you been to either?

S. Susan Deborah said...

Somehow I never read any of Tintin. I don't know why. The comic was everywhere but I never ventured anywhere near it. I wonder.

Maybe I will read them some day and watch the movie as well.

Joe, hope you're well and happy. Christmas is coming and what are your plans?

And, did any birds venture there?

Joy always,
Susan

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Great review... We don't go to movies much anymore ---but I do love everything that Spielberg does.

Thanks for sharing.
Hugs,
Betsy

Lata Menon said...

I too have read Tintin and enjoyed it...hoping to see it soon.....thanks for your review:)Lata

trees said...

This is the first time I can say with conviction that here is a movie that is not just as good as the book but even better!

And yes, I completely agree with you...most people in the audience don't realize how much hard work all those names in the credits section put in to bring us such wonderful visuals. The only complaint I had with the images was that Haddock's nose seemed much larger than in the book. But now when I put it in perspective, maybe it's because we are seeing it three dimensional unlike in the print version.

Fantastic movie, even if you are not a fan of Tintin comics.

Carole Poirot said...

I remember Tintin from my childhood and am really in two minds about watching the film as I do quite like the memories I have...if that makes sense. Though I might watch it with my son. Thanks for the detailed review and your lovely comment on my blog, Love from London xo

Bikram said...

I enjoyed the movie too and when i was a young boy tintin comics was my favourite i had the whole set ...

Bikram's

Fotokarusellen said...

This is really a great post. Beautiful work.

Debbie said...

a very interesting post....i am always looking for a good movie, one i can really enjoy!!

i adore spielberg....everything he touches turns to magic!!

Ritzy said...

heys, thanks for the blog visit.

I also anticipating the TINTIN movie. looks good! only cringy thing is tintin's face. hmmm..they spent two years on it. and somehow.. its just a little eerie hahah

Stewart M said...

Hi there - looks like a good film - I was a bit of a Tin Tin fan as kid. Always did like Capt. Haddock!

Cheers - STewart M - AUstralia

Callie Brady said...

Looks like a fun movie. Thanks for the preview!

Here I Am Carrie said...

Well I will have to wait till it comes to the TV on day. No theaters around me and just don't rent movies. Sound like you are really into it all. Thanks for sharing.

Neelam Kamdar Bhamani said...

How come you got to watch it already? It hasn't even released yet!!

Haddock said...

@ Neelam
How I got to see the movie was because Spielberg did a smart marketing strategy and released it in Europe and Asia first and kept a late Xmas release for the States.