Sunday, April 15, 2012

The struggle at old age


Rarely do we look a little deeper into the lives of the old who struggle to keep up with their old values.
Recently I saw the movie The Drought written and directed by Kevin Slack.
Here is a story of an elderly Brooklyn native who wants to continue with his old job of repairing and selling umbrellas. He is being doing it year after year and is now forced to leave it due to different circumstances.  
Even though it’s a short movie, there is lot of work that goes into it like story boarding with sketches . . .  . . .


I like his daily routine of coming home and switching on his turn table first. Something I identify with. (the minute I am home, I switch on the music) While the movie progressed I noticed that the lighting used in the movie is something unique (and keeps you riveted) And when it is outdoors, the colours are very appealing.  

Kevin Slack who has done a wonderful job.  Here is with Edmund and Susan. 

Incidentally Edmund was in his late eighties when he worked for this movie.. . .  .  to read on click here

4 comments:

Shivani Singh said...

Thank u for sharing. If and when i get to watch the movie i will remember now to notice the lighting.:)

Janie said...

I guess we associate present day with changing professions, but it's been a problem in the past. I had ancestors who were blacksmiths and carriage painters at the turn of the 20th century. Obviously, their business was on the downturn!

deeps said...

we had 'The Drought' in our curriculum...
nice take...

dropping in after a gap...
how u going?

A said...

Never heard of it, sounds really interesting...I'd like to go see it.