Wednesday, March 27, 2013

The Clarinettist


A person who plays the Clarinet is a clarinettist so says the Wikipedia. Why I looked it up was because I came across a clarinettist when I had been to the church in Goa. Actually I was leaving the church after the Holy Mass when this man entered with a small rectangular box. The way he was holding the box, I realised that it had to be some musical instrument. 


He was holding it with such care and reverence that I realised here is someone who cares for his instrument and surely he must be a good player too.
So I followed him and reached the choir section. I stood in the side lines and observed him, the way he was still holding on to the handle of the case, waiting for the congregation to leave the church so that he could open his case and assemble the clarinet.


I am not an expert in these wind instruments, but I think he had a saxophone and a clarinet (correct me if I am wrong).





Very reverently he assembled all the pieces and tested for the note clarity.







They say that when you go to a new church for the first time you can make three wishes and this was a real quaint little church. This is the Holy Family Church at Alto-Porvorim, Goa.




I liked this statue outside the church, something different from the normal statues.   


The choir was supposed to sing for the first Holy Communion and I thought what better way to capture some music and song.
I managed to get some footage and put it together to make it into a 2 minute video.
Here it is for those who want to hear him play. 


19 comments:

momto8 said...

how pleasing this worship and praise must be to God! thank you for sharing!!

Beth said...

The video is great. What a beautiful church.

Micupoftea said...

What an enjoyable post! Loved what you wrote about the man and his musical instrument- his care in assembling and playing it. Such a lovely ceremony in the church with the children. It was a treat to hear the music and see the video. Happy Easter~

Shivani Singh said...

Haddock let me grab this opportunity in wishing you all joy especially on the day when the world celebrates Happy Easter.
i got reminded of my convent school where i have seen and participated in the singing of hymns. Loved every moment then. Today i love the fact that u drew my attention to the other. For earlier i was and still AM so fond of the church organ and all the hymns but now i shall pay attention lest i should miss what u saw and heard. Brilliant instrument this although in this particular video i am not able to make out the sound much. Maybe my old compu system is to blame. But from the way it shines brilliantly and how it has been drawn from the neat box to the lips it sure does look like the gentleman in the picture is passionate about his music with his treasured instrument. Thanks for sharing moments so well. :) Oh! btw have u seen this film called Joyful Noise? i loved it for all it's gospel singing and it's story.
If i could see the instrument more clearly i would be able to say definitely if it's a saxophone or a clarinet. As of now it looks like a gold plated Sandblast Soprano Saxophone. But i could be wrong and i hope one of ur blog fans is able to tell us what instrument that is.

Ms Sparrow said...

Hope you and your family have a nice Easter.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Joe .Again a sensitive post .Enjoyed reading it and listening to it ....Cindy

MikiHope said...

Organs are not the only musical instruments that can make beautiful music as you have found out! Very interesting church-the statue is unusual!

Our Neck of the Woods said...

I play the clarinet so I was excited to see this post! The first instrument looks like a soprano saxophone from what I can see. The other silver instrument is a flute. Both lovely instruments! The music sounds so pretty. Thanks for sharing.

Jeannette said...

another lovely sharing! thank you.

TexWisGirl said...

his playing sounds really nice with the choir! it is a beautiful church, also!

thank you for your visits!

Kittie Howard said...

Beautiful, absolutely beautiful! Thank you for sharing. I didn't know about making three wishes when one went to a church for the first time. I like that a lot.

And I see you're at 399 Followers. I'm going to nudge you over.

Happy Easter!

Gail Dixon said...

Very beautiful music and photos. Hope you have a nice weekend.

Marie said...

This is a beautiful video to watch and hear! Beautiful church with beautiful people and tremendous talent. :)

Joylene Nowell Butler said...

Love the music. And the church is so adorable. Bright and cheery. I imagine it's a wonderful place to spend Easter Sunday. Thanks for visiting my blog.

deeps said...

i m glad you put up a clip as well

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

I have enjoyed listening to this gentleman playing his instrument. You did a great job with the video!

Beena Bharatam said...

Nice! :)

Lowell said...

A most interesting and beautiful post. Cute little church is correct. And the musician obviously knew what he was doing. Lovely music!

CAntony said...

Another interesting and enjoyable post!
The gentleman is most definitely playing a soprano saxophone. (His other instrument is a flute.) Ever hear of Kenny G and his lyrical soprano sax? Then look up Benny Goodman for clarinet. Sax, clarinet and flute are all in the woodwind family of instruments.
I'm very impressed with his playing. Meeting a soprano sax-ist is rare... and to find one in India... in my mind, he's a rare gem. Any chance you discovered his story? He must have a fantastic life-story! That church is truly blessed to have him!