Sunday, June 30, 2013

My next camera

Agfa click III






Isoly -II




Yashica Electro 35







Nikon Coolpix 4300







Canon SX20 IS

These are the (only) cameras that I have used so far (in the same order) and frankly speaking I was really happy with them. 
All the photographs you have seen so far on my blogs are from one of these cameras and they are all point and shoot.
But the fact is that everyone around me, left right and centre has a DSLR and they give me a weird look when I tell them that I don't have a DSLR.
So like the old saying goes "If you can't beat them, join them" I decided that I would buy my first DSLR.
I mean there is no point looking embarrassed when I face a tiger and the tiger asks me "you have come here to click me with that silly camera?"
But before I buy one I wanted to know some finer points of the camera. I realized that the best way to learn was to attend a workshop.
Found this site (toehold) which was holding workshops in all major cities in India and luckily Pune was included in the list.
It was a two day session with some special attention given as to how to operate a camera (especially a DSLR). That was a big plus for me as I am one of those who can't do anything by reading a manual. So a hands on experience with doubts clarified immediately with practical demonstration was something that I liked.
I also discovered some of the functions that were there in my existing camera (Canon SX20) which I was not aware of.  By the way this is the camera that gave me maximum mileage (and the one most abused - look at the score marks)

The cross section of the people who attended the workshop was also interesting. It varied from a Brigadier to a young lad who came all the way from Kolhapur.

While all were engrossed in the lectures I took the liberty of clicking some of the participants.



The disappearing act about to begin, or more commonly known as the “ghost effect”

The second day included some outdoor sessions.



In case you are wondering about this bad picture above, it was my first attempt at panning. 
This is the best I could get. But watch this space. With practice I hope to upload some good panning pictures.  (and it could be yours if you are zooming around on the Pune roads)
Special attention was given to wild life photography as our faculty (Mr Rahul) was basically a wild life enthusiast.
Those who want to have a look at the participants of the workshop, click here.

15 comments:

Marie said...

I remember that Isoly -II

Joanne Noragon said...

I used Minolta and Nikon SLR years and years ago. Now I have a Nikon Cool Pix, that does everything I need. I suppose like riding a bicycle, I could pick up and use a SLR again. Panning is fairly difficult; good job. But, you are a fine photographer.

Beth said...

I have only point and shoot so no suggestions for you. Good luck!

Rajesh said...

Great choices.

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

Great job with your panning shot! I have my Canon t2i. There are newer ones out now but I am happy. A few years ago I upgraded just the body as I wanted to use my older lenses.

Aaron said...

haha.. i know that 'bemused' look on people's faces when you say 'i don't have a DSLR'.. so, now that you too joining the club of the SLR's, congratulations! click away! :)

The Mukhtiars said...

i too have a canon sx 50 hs , super one

A Cuban In London said...

Good photos. Glad you found a good camera! :-)

Greetings from London.

Unknown said...

Great portraits! I especially like the b&w ones.

Marie said...

I hear good things about the Canon Rebel. I am hoping to buy a new camera in the next year.
My son really like your birthday wishes! Thank you. :)

Shivani Singh said...

Haddock once again ur post have proven to be very helpful to me. I was wondering where to go for my lessons in the basics of photography with a DSLR and I think before enrolling into something major...cost wise and time wise I better checkout Toehold. Thanks a lot ur post has just shown me the way...yeah last year I bought a Nikon DSLR 5100 and u can see the gross injustice done to the captures on my blogs...

Susan Kane said...

I have been thinking about a better camera, but $$ is in short supply. Sadly.

lissa said...

strangely, I am going in the opposite direction. I've sold my slr and is now going to only use point & shoot. but if photography is really your passion, you should go for the slr.

thanks for stopping by blog. hope you have great fun with your photography.

have a great day.

Ginny Hartzler said...

I hope you do well with it! DSLR are way too hard for me, the instruction books are so big and so much to learn, then I forget it all. But like you, most of my friends have them!

Dee said...

Dear Haddock, I admire you for taking the class. Like you, I find manuals difficult to decipher. I do much better with a demonstration.

My digital camera is many years old. Friends who recently bought a new camera--I don't know if it's a DSLR (I don't know what those words mean)--gave me their old one. I still haven't learned how to download the pictures from it and put them on my computer for use on my blog. I just so technologically challenged! Peace.